Hormones are an essential part of our health and overall well being. When hormones are imbalanced it can have a negative impact on so many aspects of our health including weight, sexual desire as well as mood. Common triggers that can cause hormone imbalance include lifestyle factors such as sleep patterns, stress, lack of exercise, poor diet, thyroid issues or diabetes.
Common signs of a hormonal imbalance include:
- Difficulty falling and/or staying asleep: studies have shown a drop in progesterone can be the underlying cause.
- Persistent acne: increased levels of testosterone stimulates excess production of oil which often leads to clogged pores, pimples and blemishes.
- Memory fog: studies have shown that extremely stressful situations causes the body to produce high levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Constant hunger: lack of sleep can cause the hormone ghrelin to soar which stimulates hunger.
- Digestive issues: chronic stress of the adrenal glands can lead to digestive issues. Additionally, studies have shown that people who suffer from IBS is due to abnormal levels of serotonin.
- Weight gain: when the adrenal system is fatigued a signal is sent to the thyroid that there is an issue causing it to slow down your metabolism.
Testing is the first step to properly identify if these symptoms are a result of a hormone imbalance. There are several different methods used for this – at Vitalize Medical Center we utilize blood testing as it’s the highly accurate clinical testing standard. Once we are able to review the results we meet with patients to create a personalized treatment plan that works best for each individual.
Common treatment options for a hormone imbalance include:
- Bio-identical Hormone Therapy: where plant-derived hormones are used that that are the same chemical structure as the ones your body produces.
- Conventional Hormone Therapy: this approach uses synthetic and animal hormones to re-establish healthy hormone levels.
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: various forms include topical preparations. injections and hormone pellets. Regulating your body’s Testosterone can be the first step in a more rewarding balanced life.